Archaeological museum in Mitilini

The archaeological museum is housed in two buildings.


The old building is a three-story mansion (1912) with decorations in relief and among others the following can be seen:

  • Extensive collection of artifacts, statuettes, ceramics and jewels dating back from the Prehistoric to the Roman period.
  • In the museum courtyard priceless capitals, once part of the renowned Aeolian temples of Klopedi, inscriptions, funerary stelae, bas-reliefs, statues and coins are on display. 


The new building houses on a permanent basis an exhibition entitled “Lesvos: from the Hellenistic to Roman Age”. The collection of exhibits includes mosaic-tiled floors and wall paintings from the lavish Roman mansions of the 2nd century BC located in Mitilini.

Opening hours: 

08.30 – 15.00 hours. 

Mondays closed. 


Tel: 

(+30) 225 10 28032 (old building) and 

(+30) 225 10 40223 (new building)

Byzantine museum in Mitilini

It has operated since 1978 at a self-owned building opposite the entrance of Agios Therapontas. Among others the following collections can be seen:

  • Collection of portable icons covering a time period of more than 7 centuries from which the oldest icons date back to the 13th century.
  • Collection of heirlooms of older temples such as the main entrances to the Altar of the old church of Agios Therapontas and the catholic church of Taxiarches in Kato Tritos.

Opening hours: 

09.00 – 13.00 hours. 

Sundays closed.

Municipal Art Gallery in Mitilini

It is housed in the restored mansion of the general Halim Bay. Works of great Greek and foreign painters and etchers from the collection of George Simos-Petris and his sister Elli Simou, are exhibited.

Opening hours: 

10.00 – 16.00 hours. 

Mondays closed.

Museum of the castle of Mitilini

It is housed in the Powder – Magazine, a building of the Late Ottoman Period and extends hospitality to a permanent exhibition of coins from the Byzantine, Genoan and Ottoman Periods and preserved ceramic findings of the Byzantine and Post-Byzantine period.

Winter opening hours: 

08.30 – 15.00. 

Mondays closed.

Summer opening hours: 

08.00 – 20.00. 

Mondays 13.30 – 20.00.

Teriade museum in Varia

The museum of Modern Art has 20 halls from which 16 halls house 29 of his books illustrated by famous artists such as Picasso, Chagall, Laurence, Villon, Matisse etc. Each hall has its own showcase where each book is on display whereas most pictures and pages are exhibited on the walls.

Also 40 paintings of Theofilos as well as works of other Greek painters, such as Tsarouchis, Kanellis and Rorris can be seen.

Opening hours: 

09.00 – 17.00 (October – March), 09.00 – 14.00 & 17.00 – 20.00 (April – September)

Theofilos museum in Varia

The Theofilos Museum was built, in 1965, by the art critic Stratis Eleftheriades, to house 86 valuable works of Theofilos Hatzimichael, the most genuine representative of Greek folk painting. The works are from the period 1927-1934.

Opening times: 

10.00 – 16.00. 

Mondays closed. 

The Natural History museum of the petrified forest in Sigri

The modern facilities of this museum present the petrifications of one of the most globally significant Monuments of Nature, the Lesvos Petrified Forest, the natural processes which led to the creation of the Petrified Forest and the geohistorical evolution of the Aegean Sea. A host of educational programmes, exhibitions and cultural events are organized by the museum making it an important centre of attraction. It was established in 1994.


The first permanent exhibition hall of the Museum is dedicated to the Lesvos Petrified Forest. It displays rare plant fossils from the region of western Lesvos. Information is provided on the process of fossilisation and the different types of fossils to be seen in nature. A wall screen shows visuals of the Lesvos Petrified Forest Geopark with exceptional fossil tree trunks, excavation work and the efforts involved in salvaging fossilised tree trunks from the sea west of Sigri.


The second hall is dedicated to the geohistorical evolution of the Agean area, highlighting geological phenomenaand processes related to the system of the Earth's crust that helped create the Petrified Forest. The earth's structure, the causes and results of volcanic and seismic activity in Greece and the geological evolution of the Aegeanbasin during the last 65 million years are presented with exhibits, reconstructions and maps.


There is now also an exhibition of the remains of the petrified trunks discovered by the roadworks from Kalloni to Sigri.

www.lesvosmuseum.gr, www.petrifiedforest.gr

Opening hours: 

08.30 – 16.30 (1/10 – 30/6, Tuesday till Sunday), 

09.00 – 20.00 (1/7 – 30/9, every day)

Museum of Industrial Olive Oil Production in Lesvos in Agia Paraskevi

The museum is housed in an old municipal oil mill and press (1910). It features the industrial phase of olive oil production in Greece, focusing on the changes that were brought about by the introduction of mechanic drive into oil production. The old machinery and equipment that have been preserved and fully restored, are being exhibited in a unique way b being put into use for demonstration’s sake, which is supported by digital shows. In the main building the three basic steps of the oil production process (crushing the olives, pressing the olive-pulp, separating oil from water) are shown. The former storage areas of the olive crop are used as auxiliary exhibition halls, in which exhibits present the human element involved in oil production.

Opening hours: 

10.00 – 18.00 (1/3 – 15/10), 10.00 – 17.00 (16/10 – 28/2). Tuesdays closed.

Digital Art museum of Giorgos Iakovidis in Chidera

Chidera is the birthplace of the great Greek painter Giorgos Iakovidis (1853-1932), who was the 1st director of the National Art Gallery for 30 years as well as the director of School of Fine Arts in Athens. Here the first fully digital museum of art in Greece is located. Organised according to a special museological study based on new technologies, it presents the life and work of the renowned Greek painter through a variety of digital media.

Opening hours: 

09.00 – 17.00 (September – June), 

09.00- 19.00 (July -  August)

Natural History Collection in Vrissa

Natural History collection is temporarily housed at the primary school. It includes apart from sediments, rocks, a good number of animals that have been embalmed, the representation of a huge turtle, bones of giraffes, deer, antilopes, gazelles, cattle along with the jaw bone and parts of the skeleton of 2 animals of the Proboscidea order, ancestors of the elephant. The most impressive pieces of the collection are the bones of a family of giant apes of the family Paradolipithecus found in Europe.

Opening hours: 

09.30 – 15.30 (October – April, Mondays and Tuesdays closed), 09.30 – 15.30 (May – 20th June, every day), 

09.30 – 15.00 & 16.00 – 20.00 (21st June – September, every day)

Barbayannis Ouzo museum in Plomari

Visitors can see the original equipment used to bottle and label the famous ouzo Barbayannis, and the first alembic, constructed in Constantinople in 1858 and used for testing century-old secrets and techniques.

Opening hours: 

09.00 – 16.00 hours 

(April -15th October), 

10.00 – 14.00 hours

(16th October – March)

Saturday – Sunday: arrangement required.

Soap factory museum in Plomari

Exhibition of different tools for soap making, wooden and metal stamps, packaging and wrappings of soaps, labels, drying equipment, weighing machines, cauldrons and a photograph collection.

Opening hours: 

08.00 – 14.00 (arrangement required), weekends closed

Vrana Olive Press museum of the Archipelagos Company in Papados

The Olive-press was one of the first steam-powered factories on Lesvos and in the Aegean. It was built in 1887 by Nikolaos Vranas, grandfather of the Nobel prize winning poet Odysseas Elytis, in Papados, one of the most important villages on Lesvos and the hub of economic activity of Gera, an area with a long tradition in olive-oil production. It’s an establishment of unique architectural value, operated continuously until the early 1970s, when it closed down and surrendered to the decay of time. The monument has been restored completely and its mechanical equipment has been preserved. On exhibit is a rare archive collection, an exhibition of paintings of significant artists, as well as old items used when the olive oil press was in use.

Opening hours: 

09.00 – 16.00 (wintertime), 

09.00 – 19.00 (summertime)

Other museums/collections

Plomari:

  • Cultural centre housed in an old factory
  • Folk museum

Paleochori: Religious museum

Neochori: Olive museum in an old olive press.

Papados:  Museum of Industrial History

Eressos: Museum of folklore

Filia: On the square you have a small museum.

Agiasos:

  • Museum of Stratis Tzinis with handicraft
  • Folk Library museum

Napi: Architectural foundings of a chapel and the folklore collection of pots and tools can be seen at the Primary School on the ground floor

Skala Eressou: Museum with pots and bas-reliefs from the Archaic, Classical and Hellenistic eras, coins, sepulchral stones with inscriptions and the anchor of he Turkish flagship exploded by Papanikolis in 1821.

Vatousa: The Cultural Centre is operating at the same time as Folklore Museum and Library and is also known as the Mansion of Gogou.

Polichnitos:

  • Historic Folk Museum with old tools and house supply
  • Old olive press (1903), but is now in use as a centre of art. On the chimney is a storks nest.

Mandamados: Polikentro, restored oil mill and press. This is now a cultural centre and exhibition hall of pottery.

Molivos: 

  • Municipal Art Gallery with paintings of Tsarouchis, Chalepas, Mytaras, Botsoglou etc. In front of the Gallery you will find the bust of Argiris Eftaliotis and further up the street you can see the house he was born in.
  • In the former town hall of Molivos you can see two collections of excavations.

Argenos: Museum of National Resistance and Library of Lesbian literature

Petra:

  • The residence of Vareltzidena has been built between the 18th and 19th centuries. It's a mixture of local and oriental features of neoclassicism, Byzantine and baroque architecture.
  • Cultural centre, which is housed in the neo-classical building of the former Girl's school. It has a well-stocked library, a dance and theatre section and the priest Platonas's collection of Byzantine icons.